bead colors and finishes
A matte finish is an example of tumbling which removes the shiny surface of the bead leaving a rough finish and soft appearance.
How to match beads with your fiber
The next consideration is what color beads to put with your yarn. In fact, "What color beads go with this yarn?" is one of the most common questions we get asked. There are many sites online which explain color theory, (This one is very easy to read and understand) but, ultimately, the choice of what colors look good together is a personal one.
Some people prefer things to match and blend together. They may want the beads to just add a little sparkle. Sometimes people want the beads to compliment the yarn without standing out at all. Others want a lot of bling. They want the beads to sparkle and shine and be a central part of the design. That's why we have such a large selection of beads.
All of that said, there are a few tips we can offer to help make choosing easier:
1) Always bring a sample of the yarn you are trying to match. Don't rely on memory when it comes to colors.
2) If you have any doubts about whether or not a bead will fit on your yarn, try it. You can always ask us to try it at the booth or send us a snippet of yarn and we will try it and let you know how it fits.
3) Make sure the lighting is good when matching the beads and yarn. If you need to, ask to take the beads to a spot with better lighting.
4) If you purchase beads online, make sure that you return them if they don't match your yarn.
5) Trust yourself. If you like the way something looks that's really all that matters.
If you have any questions about fiber and beads that we haven't covered in these 2 posts, please let us know and we'll do our best to answer them.